Wednesday, December 5, 2012

One Year Ago: Dec. 5

Monday, Dec  5.   We had another Bold Reflection concert in the evening;  I came straight up from DU and met the boys at the retirement home where we sang.  Joe seemed more cheerful and even smiled at me a few times.  We all went to my family’s place after performing for some more practice.  Some of the boys (including Joe) stayed around talking afterwards, and I stood against the wall and listened for a while--wanting to be near and hear what he had to say, but not wanting to seem pushy.  

That night, about 11 PM, I was nearly ready for bed when Mom appeared around the corner and indicated that she needed to talk with me, leading the way down the hall.  Hmm, I wondered; she couldn’t talk in the kitchen?   My brain kicked into high gear.  We were heading to her bedroom—Dad must be involved.  Mom shut our bedroom door most of the way as we passed, apparently so the girls wouldn’t be aware of the meeting.  This was quite serious.  By the time we got to my parents’ room I was nearly sure that someone had asked about me, and I was just afraid it was someone other than Joe.  Dad took a look at me (I was probably very visibly anxious) and said something like “Well, I’ll get right to the point.  Joe Langemann is interested in courting you.”

That was probably the closest I’ve ever come to going through the roof with excitement.   It was just amazing to see the pieces fall together, to realize that Joe actually were interested in me, that God had planted the idea and had been in it all along.  Dad cut through my excitedness and asked, “So are you interested?”  I was.  :)  As I walked back to the living room I thought about having to try to control the crazy smile on my face when I was around anyone else.  

Mom and I talked for a while.  Then Rebecca came out and wanted to talk (our bi-annual-ish long sister talk; just happened to fall that night).  I thought I did a fairly good job of appearing as usual, though she may tell a different story.  She was worried about who Joe was going to marry, and I was laughing internally.  I did some journaling, and finally went to bed sometime in the wee hours of the morning.   

Joe didn’t know any of this, of course.  My dad had given him a wink and a shoulder squeeze that evening, and Joe wondered--was that very good or very bad?  

to be continued

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool hearing the saga unfold!! When I met you and saw the beautiful red coat you were making for him, I thought right away you would be an awesome couple. I'm quite sensitive and noticed some "interest" vibes going both ways = )) So I really appreciate all these details you are sharing how all this unfolded. Thanks Rachel! Love and prayers as you continue to open your hearts to each other. Sandy

    ReplyDelete