Friday, December 14, 2012

Everyday Life

It's a quiet day for me and I thought that I would take the chance to write here a few thoughts (updates, rambles, what have you).  I don't have anywhere to go till this evening and I am in my comfy clothes, working on the Christmas decorations.  Actually right now I'm typing a blog post and eating leftover soup, but you get the idea.

General life first...God has been good to us.  We have a lovely little place to live, are close to both our families, and in general are so blessed.  Joe has no shortage of work, and I am enjoying my part-time job as strings teacher at a small Christian school.   I like making food and Joe likes eating it (he's so easy to please--doesn't mind eating soup half the time), and we both like chocolate and ice cream and spending time together.

Tonight we are going up to Ellerslie for Michael and David's Advanced graduation.  I'm really looking forward to it (rush hour traffic notwithstanding).  It's a busy time--Sarah graduates from the Ellerslie Basic program on Sunday, and Bold Reflection has 3 performances within a week.  Joe and I are still participating in that interesting and entertaining group and we really have enjoyed it.  

My mom is an amazing thrift store shopper--she found a cute little Nativity set and a tree skirt for us. Christmas decorating our own place has been great, and I think it helps it to feel more like home.  We went to the mountains to cut a tree last Saturday and it's been so fun to decorate it and sit together by Christmas-light.  (Pictures on the tree coming once I get it fully decorated, hopefully.)

Today, when I finish the Christmas decorations, I am hoping for time to sit down and crochet and listen to Messiah.  My fingers have been itching to do some creating again, so I brought my thread crochet stuff over from my family's place yesterday and have been looking up all kinds of patterns (primarily of snowflakes).  I am looking forward to it.
  
I love Christmastime and want to make the most of it, not just let it fly by.  I have a couple of Christmas books out and it's good to take little dips into them here and there.  My favorite is a little volume of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Christmas sermons.  This quote caught my attention the other day:


"We have selected from the Christmas story only the pleasant bits, forgetting the awesome nature of an event in which the God of the universe, its Creator and Sustainer, draws near to this little planet, and now speaks to us."

Well, I am going to get back to that Christmas decorating.  Have a lovely day, all!

Rachel



1 comment:

  1. Rachel, thank you for the fun peek into your happy, quiet days. Isn't it fun decorating your own home for Christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete