Saturday, July 2, 2016

Happy 1st Birthday Emily!

Emily Grace,


Happy 1st birthday, little princess!  One year ago, just five minutes after midnight, you were born after a fast and slightly crazy labor.  Before I even really saw you, I heard Daddy saying “Look, sweetie, it’s a girl!”  You had my dark hair (which you’ve kept) and your Daddy’s nose and you were such a beautiful little girl.  We were both so excited and blessed.  We named you Emily Grace because it was the most special name we could think of, and we’ve called you Princess since before we even left the birth center that morning.  



You bring us so much joy.  Since you were tiny, people have commented on how happy you are; a common saying among your aunts, uncles and grandparents is “Emily is always happy!”  or “Emily is just so happy!”  While I can’t say you are always happy (particularly if you don’t want to go to bed), you are a happy girl.  You love to be around people and you really love your family.  Your brother makes you smile and you’ve already learned how to make him laugh hysterically...buzzing your lips sure does the trick.   And James loves you; if you’re in bed crying he wants me to go take care of you.  

You’re already starting to talk and you have the most adorable little high-pitched voice.  I have to listen carefully but sometimes what I think I hear surprises me.  You try to repeat what you hear, and I almost think I heard “Wow!  Pretty!” when we were talking about fireworks this morning.  (You did experience your first fireworks last night, but I don’t think you even noticed. We let you play with my phone to keep you from crying from sheer exhaustion while James was enthralled by his first fireworks show.)  Last night you said “James” and you say “Wheee!” when you’re on the swings or slide at the park.  

                 

You are a Daddy’s girl.  You’re so happy to see him when he gets home from work and you’ll almost always go to him from me.  Especially at bedtime, since I’m the one who usually puts you to bed.  When I’m feeding you at night and Daddy moves in bed, you perk up, get excited and start trying to talk to him.  And Daddy loves you so much, little one.  He regularly talks about how cute you are and how much he loves you.  One of my favorite things is watching him dance with you.


Sometimes I wonder what you’ll be like when you get a little older.  Outdoorsy?  A reader?  What instruments will call to you?  Between Daddy and me I don’t think you’re going to be able to escape having quite the imagination.  I'm excited to get to know the girl you're growing into. I’m also looking forward to the day when I can share all my favorite stories with you.  But at the same time I love my baby girl and don’t want her to grow up too fast.  

I can’t believe that I have a daughter.  I prayed for a little girl, Emily, before you were even conceived.  Now I pray that you will seek Jesus, not out of fear or duty but out of love.  That you will grow to be a strong, confident, gracious woman.  I want you to know that we love you.   We’re so glad we got you and we will always, always love you.  You’re our special girl.  

Love you forever, Emmy-Bear.  

Mummy

                              

Photo credit for photos 1, 2 and 4 to Sarah Morgan Photography












No comments:

Post a Comment