Saturday, July 30, 2016

Everyday Life 7.29.16: sailing etc.

Friday, 7.29.16

I'm by myself this evening--for another little while at least.  Joe's not home yet from the gathering of the brothers and brothers-in-law for Man Time and I'm enjoying some quiet now that the kids are in bed and the house is tidy.  Emily settles down wonderfully well at night.  James not so much; he just doesn't fall asleep for a while.  I've already changed two stinky diapers this evening (same child, abovementioned).  I have been working on getting to know Windows 10, particularly the photo app.  Any new technology is frustrating to me; I knew the old Picasa interface quite well and it's taking me some time to figure out how to get this newfangled thing to do my bidding.  Anyway...

Yesterday we finally got Joe's little sailboat, Alberta, out to the lake!  It's been quite a process getting ready; she hasn't been out for two years.  It was a lovely and refreshing evening.  We spent a lot of time at this lake the few summers before we started dating so we have lots of memories there, many of them centered around the boat.  (I didn't know at the time that Joe was very intentionally on the boat every time I was.  And neither of us will soon forget a certain moon-lit night sail.)

             

                  

James and Emily loved the sand!  Kept them happy and busy for a long time.  We're going to have a wonderful time on the beaches of Michigan this fall.  We've started planning our annual getaway and the countdown has begun!  Can't wait.  

                       

                   

Saturday, 7.30.16

(Didn't manage to finish this yesterday but didn't want to completely re-write what I wrote.  Hence the journal format.)  Life these days: Busy.  Crazy.  Joe's still working a lot.  It's a blessing but it's also been taxing for him (and for me, because he's gone more than usual).  Grateful, though, that the busy part of his job is seasonal and that we have a vacation coming up!  We've been working on ways to make the most of our family time.  Some days I feed the kids dinner before Joe gets home and we go to the park in the evening.  It's fun and refreshing for all of us.  James loves being chased or carried by Joe and Emily has decided that laying in the grass, though a ticklish endeavor, is quite fun.  It's hilarious to watch her intentionally tip herself over backwards and then giggle and cringe from the grass on her neck.  

               

                           

Funny anecdote of the week: yesterday I after dinner I put Emily in her walker and gave James, still in his high chair, some ice cream.  A minute or two later I heard a wail from James and looked up from the dishes: Emily had swiped his dish of ice cream from his tray and was cruising off with it.  I restored the dessert to its rightful owner but a minute later Emily grabbed it again, this time making off (fast) in another direction.  That was the end of walker time for Emily...and James finished his ice cream in peace.  :)  

Anyway...we're off to some friends for dinner and I had best get us ready, since getting out the door always takes quite a while these days.  All for now!

Rachel


                         

We like the grass too.  :)








No comments:

Post a Comment