Friday, May 27, 2016

Everyday Life 5.27.16:

It's a sleepy day.  Business is crazy for Joe right now and he's working a lot of hours, the effects of which filter down to the rest of us and make it feel just a bit extra busy all around.  It's good; his job is seasonal so an intense summer is normal.  It's just a little crazy while it lasts.  (And this summer so far is quite beyond the usual craziness)

Joe and I did get to go on a date yesterday afternoon.  It was lovely to get out.  After dinner we walked around the lake in the rain.  The combination of rain, clouds and water have wonderful memories for us: roaming the streets of Camden, ME on a rainy fall day.  Freezing but loving it on board the schooner Angelique.  Our little cottage vacations on Lake Huron.  We absolutely love to be near water and are hoping to sail again this summer (Joe has a little sailboat, Alberta, that he built several years ago and some of our favorite friendship-building, pre-dating memories are centered around it).

(This is a journal entry post.  Since I don't have anything big to say, I'm writing for myself, for the future.  I want to look back and remember what life is like today.  You all are more than welcome to listen in.)

Did you know that Daddy Long Legs (the 1912 book by Jean Webster) has been made into a musical???  The recording is available on Apple Music and I have really enjoyed listening to it.  It's small; only two actors and three musicians (piano, guitar, cello).  Sounds like they stayed quite true to the story.  I'd love to see it if it ever comes to Denver.  In the meantime, I've added it to my Musicals playlist, created especially for listening to while cleaning.

I'm trying to optimize my time to accomplish a bit more this summer.  I switched almost all of my cleaning over to Mondays and I think that's going to help; it's easier to just clean for a couple of hours and get it all done than to try to do a task or two every day.  Hopefully that will leave an afternoon or two a week for other work.  I would love to work through our photos and get either albums or a few photo books made. We have lots of printed photos so I'd like to go through, organize them and see about scrapbooking them or putting them in albums.  I've never been the scrapbooking sort (not.at.all.) but it's quite a bit less expensive than doing lots of photo books and we already have a lot of pics printed.  I'm thinking some kind of super-minimalist scrapbook?  Black or neutral pages, minimal decoration and captioning?  Ideas, anyone?

~ ~ ~ 

Emily: we call her Emmy-Bear, or as James said the other night, "Night-night, Ummy-Burr!"  She cut her first tooth today!  She's almost 11 months.  James was 11 months when he cut his first tooth, so I guess our kids are late teethers.  I don't mind that at all.  :)  She hasn't been fussy and for that I am grateful.  She also rolled over in bed of her own accord!  She's been content to just stay on her back and push around with her feet a bit, so we've been working on rolling.  Guess she figured out that it's a viable transportation option.  Speaking of Emily, I just can't get enough of this picture.  Sarah did a photoshoot of the kids in their wedding outfits the other day and this is probably my all-time favorite photo that we have of Emily.



James.  Such a little man.  Talking more and more, sometimes in words and sometimes in his personal language (sounds like gibberish with a lot of D's and G's, and he tends to use it when he's "talking on the phone").  He likes everything in its place and is good at knowing where stuff goes: shoes on the dryer.  Coat hanging in the laundry room.  Today he picked up a shoe off the floor and tossed it into the coat closet.  Lately he's been helping me to bring in the groceries when I shop; helpful for me and he loves it.  


I got an ice cream maker for Mother's Day.  So fun to experiment with flavors!  I have so many that I want to try.  So far this sweet cream recipe is a favorite.  I also made Earl Grey biscotti from this recipe.  My family loves them; I personally think they're fine but could be improved, possibly by using a different base recipe.

Well, the littles are waking up (Emily is, at any rate; James is a sound sleeper this time of day) so I'd best be off.  Later!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment