Friday, April 8, 2016

Everyday Life 4.8.16

It's a quiet Friday afternoon.  Both kids are sleeping and I opted for caffeine and quiet time over a nap.  This morning I took the kids for a long walk/run and we stopped and played at the park.  Not a playground, though.  James prefers his trucks and the dirt to playground equipment.  So we went to the ball diamond and he played with his loader and garbage truck while I stretched and tried to keep various elements of nature out of Emily's mouth.

                             
Emily is 9 months as of this week!  She's delightful.  She never took to baby food (and she did so well nursing that I didn't push it) but she just developed the cutest little pincer grip and is doing really well with finger food.  Citrus, strawberries, and bread are favorites so far.  She cruises all over in her walker, scoots backwards and in circles on her tummy (but not so much forwards), and loves face-to-face time and talking with people.  She's starting to "dance" in response to singing.  So glad we got her.

                             

James woke up the other morning and the first thing he said was "Gawage door!  Up and down!" He's obsessed with garages, trains, trucks of all varieties, and keys (which he calls keys-es).  Which reminds me, I think mine are in his pocket.  Must remember to check on that when he wakes up.

We have a wedding coming up!  My sister is marrying Joe's brother, which means that it's really exciting for us.  Also that it will be really busy for us, since both of us have extended family coming in.  It's going to be so much fun, though.  For me wedding prep has looked like planning a shower, helping with dress alterations, wearing sparkly shoes on and off for days to break them in, finding adorable clothes for the kids, and most recently working on music.  It has been years since I've done anything like this (transcribing/arranging something) and I find that I still love it.

                             

In kitchen news, I've developed a great fondness for biscotti.  I was never really crazy about them, preferring my cookies chewy, but when I was going through Penzey's catalogues cutting recipes that I like I found one for anise biscotti that caught my eye.  I love anise, I happen to have a whole bag of it, and I was seized with a deep desire to make them.  They were delicious.  Then I started wondering about chocolate biscotti.  Not just biscotti with chocolate chunks, but real chocolate ones with chocolate chunks as well.  I tried this recipe, since it was the one with the largest amount of cocoa powder, and they're lovely!  Hard and crunchy (more so because they don't have butter, I think) but excellent for dipping.  I'm also excited about dinner tonight.  I finally have a quorum of ingredients in my kitchen to try the recipe for Khmer curry given to me by my dear friend Kristin in Cambodia.  I've been planning it for days.

So....that's my life today.  Nothing super deep or exciting, but I'm blessed and grateful.  And I'm going to keep working on that music.

Rachel


              
                           The little cuties on a mountain walk last night




1 comment:

  1. So much fun reading this. :) I had some biscotti recipes pop up on Pinterest the other day and was reminded how yummy it is to have with tea. Maybe I can figure out a coconut flour version? ;) Love you.

    ReplyDelete