Sunday, August 28, 2016

Everyday Life 8.28.16: happy things

I'm short on time this week, but I am going to take a few minutes and write out some things that are making me happy these days:

Emily's curls, especially after baths.  Beyond adorable.


James and church... he talks about it ("Lillo Bibow Chapow") and he's starting to re-enact services.  I'll hear him in his room: "Good morning, chapel!"  Then he'll jabber a bunch of stuff I can't decipher and pray (usually over the food), and talk some more, and sing some songs.  He gets a red hard-cover book and uses it as a guitar; strumming, singing loudly (not songs that we recognize), and swaying back and forth.  

Cooler weather!  It was in the 60's and rainy on Joe's birthday (Thursday).  It's so refreshing.  The colors are starting to turn already, too.  Even though the days are still warm sometimes you can feeling the difference at night.  

James and his fascination with leaf-blowers, weed-whackers, and mowers.  He'll get a tall piece of grass and leaf-blow with it, or take the broom off the patio and weed-whack the grass behind our condo...complete with sound effects.  


Emily talks!  And she's only 13 months.  I've been trying to work with James on using a happy voice and I've said it so much that sometimes Emily says "'appy voice!  'appy voice!".  She calls James something like Dede or Gigi and she's quite clear on words like Daddy, wow, and no. 

Time in the mountains last week.  We were able to go and spend a day at some friends' property; it was quiet, amazingly beautiful, and so refreshing.  I have many good memories up there from years ago and I didn't think that I would get to go back after they moved, so it was an unexpected and lovely gift.  

     

Taking the kids to the library.  They love it.  Our library has a lot of fun toys; I can pick up and drop off my books and let them have some fun play time.  Once day we'll do some more reading too.


James and Emily just started playing together in the last week or two.  They'll "chase" each other around the house and laugh together.  I love it and it keeps them occupied so I can do other things (like make dinner).  Below, James gives Emily tastes of his ice cream.

    


James' mealtime hugs...very sweet if a bit awkward and potentially messy.  He will ask for a hug midway through a meal and lately he sometimes says "Ah wuv 'oo!" as well.  (Emily tries to get in on it by tipping her head as though giving a hug, even though nobody's there...)

Date with Joe in honor of his birthday.  Actually having time to hang out together, just the two of us. His kindness and acceptance are such gifts.    



Preparing for our annual fall trip.  This is partly happy and partly stressful, but getting to travel is a wonderful thing for us.  Can't wait to be by the water. 

And...piano time has become violin time for the next few months.  I will be rejoining CYS for the fall concert set; Mendelssohn 5, Schubert Unfinished, and the Mozart Magic Flute Overture provided some strong motivation.  Playing beautiful music makes me feel alive...it's like water for the soul.  I can't wait to be back at it, even though this music is h.a.r.d. and there is a lot of it.  I need to learn some more about focused practice techniques and how to make a little practice time go a long way.  

That's all for this week!  Between travel prep and re-routing my extra time to violin practice, posts may be a bit more rare but I'll try to keep sharing bits of life as I can.

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. LOVE seeing marriage and family done RIGHT! Reflecting Jesus' LOVE. Blessings, Sandy

    ReplyDelete